Re: objdump --debugging, target=arm-elf

Hi Shaun,

: I'm having a problem with debugging information in my arm-elf target.
: Firstly, how do the debugging formats differ, and which should I
: use?

There are two main debug formats supported by the GNU tools: STABS and
DWARF.  Which you use depends upon the toolchain you are using (some
toolchains only support one of these formats), which language you are
using (STABS is an older format, and has less support for C++ than
DWARF), and how big you are prepared to let your binaries become.
(DWARF debug information tends to occupy more space than STABS).

In the case of the arm-elf toolchain the default is DWARF (version 2,
with GNU extensions) and this is the recommended debug format to use.

: And, how can I get the --debugging info from the file?

By using a different tool.  Objdump does not (yet) have the ability to
display DWARF debug information.  Instead use the readelf tool (which
should be in the same directory as the objdump program that you are
using).  The various command line switches starting with -w... can be
used to display the debug information.