libiberty.so not built in binutils

Hi,
I was evaluating tools that help to track memory allocation bugs under
Linux for C and C++. I found 'mpatrol' which requires libiberty.so. I
saw that the current binutils release (2.10) and also the one I have
installed (2.9) only have the static library (libiberty.a) but not the
dynamic one.
What is the easiest way to convert the static library to a dynamic one?
And why not include the dynamic version, too, in future releases?
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://artho.com