Re: DWARF2 info not being generated correctly for PPC targets?

> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:54:18 -0700
> From: Thomas de Lellis <tdel@windriver.com>
> CC: binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com, igor@mail.wrs.com
>
> Greetings Geoff!
>
> thanks for the reply.  I am looking for ways to accommodate a 3rd party
> who are trying to make their debugger compatible with GNU-ld-produced .o
> files but expects these dwarf offset fields to contain valid values even
> in relocatable .o files.
>
> Is it too risky or are there side effects in simply dropping the RELA
> addend offset into the dwarf debugging info as well as keep the offset
> in the addend?

This is safe (those places in the .o file are ignored in the final
link), but it may not give what the debugger expects.

For example, if the debugging info contained

    .4byte foo

and 'foo' is an external symbol, the relocation will have an addend of
0.  I don't know enough about DWARF to know if this can happen.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>