Re: A very "strange" bug in gcc 2.96

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 12:31:56PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> But, you are right that there is an issue here in that this does
> change behavior relative to older versions of the compiler.  Perhaps
> someone could clarify this piece of documentation from the gcc info
> pages:
>
>   `-shared'
>        Produce a shared object which can then be linked with other
>        objects to form an executable.  Not all systems support this
>        option.  You must also specify `-fpic' or `-fPIC' on some systems
>        when you specify this option.
>
> as well as the descriptions of -fpic and -fPIC.

We have been telling people it is a feature for the GNU ld and the GNU
C library. There are testcases in binutils for this fearture. If we
take it out, it may disappoint some people. I'd prefer to turn it on
with a flag. The problem with it is the code used to work now fails.
Sometimes, it is very hard to track it down. As the result, developers
may blame Linux.

H.J.