Re: A patch for configure

   Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:26:42 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com>

   I'd like to install this patch. Without it, cross compiling may
   fail due to the way gcc uses to find binutils.

   20000-05-18  H.J. Lu  (hjl@gnu.org)

	   * configure: Ask to create the gcc directory for cross
	   compiling if necessary.

This patch makes no sense to me.  As far as I can tell, your patch
will prevent me from configuring a cross-toolchain unless I first
install gcc.  I often build cross-toolchains and simply run them from
the build directory without ever installing them.  Your patch would
prevent me from even configuring such a toolchain.  What's the point
of that?

What problem are you trying to solve?  I can only guess that you are
trying to solve the problem of an uninstalled gcc trying to find an
installed binutils.  That problem relates to gcc, not to the
binutils.  Why are you trying to fix it in the binutils?

Ian