Re: Link-time relaxing for m68k ELF

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com> wrote:

> > My plan is to give gas on m68k ELF a special option (I'm thinking --link-relax)
> > to make it generate objects for link-time relaxing.
>
> The SH gas just uses --relax for the similar option.

I think that is misleading. The name of that option, as well as its description
in sh gas' options help, suggests that it turns relaxing on and off in general.
It's very non-obvious that it turns on *additional* relaxing *in the linker*.
And for m68k this will be even more significant, as that option will cause some
quite weird stuff to be emitted into the object file, as well as disable gas'
own relaxer. I still think --link-relax is the best name for that option in
m68k gas. But you are the boss, so if you want a different name I'll use that.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)