Re: reloc overflows

   Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:14:58 +1000 (EST)
   From: Alan Modra <alan@linuxcare.com.au>

   > -	  /* We explicitly permit wrap around if this relocation
   > -	     covers the high bit of an address.  The Linux kernel
   > -	     relies on it, and it is the only way to write assembler
   > -	     code which can run when loaded at a location 0x80000000
   > -	     away from the location at which it is linked.  */
   > -	  if (howto->bitsize + rightshift
   > -	      == bfd_arch_bits_per_address (input_bfd))
   > -	    break;

   Hi Ian,
      I goofed in removing this, causing problems such as
   http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=61719

Yes, I've found that changes to the relocation checking code are
almost always wrong.

   Attached is a fairly simple fix, along with a couple of optimisations for
   sign extension.

   OK to apply?

Yes.  Thanks.  Please move this into the 2.10 branch as well.

Ian