re gdb-4.18 & binutils

Hi,
The latest stable version of gdb ( 4.18 ) is based on
binutils 2.9.4 while the lastest stable offical
release of the binutils is 2.9.1.

I first attempted building gdb with 2.9.1 but found
that core dumping wasn't working properly due to
a mismatched understanding of bfd/elf.c in pulling
out register sections in elf core dumps.

I in turn upgraded our platform dependent bfd stuff to
gdb's 2.9.4. (I'll admit I didn't bust a gut trying to
get binutils 2.9.1 going I'm sure I could with minor
mods if I persevered ).

As we are attempting to make a stable distribution of
these utilites how long do we need to wait until a
stable gdb4.18 compatible version of binutils gets
officially posted. ( 2.9.1 is now a year & a half old
).

Thanks,
D.J.