Re: strange compile problem

On the other hand, I see that bfd_stat is the only thing in bfd.h that
incurs the wrath of _FILE_OFFSET_BITS.  The only other related concern is
off_t vs `file_ptr', which has been circumvented already by just always
using `long int' for `file_ptr'.  As long as the internal conversions to
whatever type off_t is happen properly, I think that is fine.  I mean,
anyone on the list wanted to operate on a file >=2GB with BFD so far in life?

That being the case, I'd be most inclined to just punt bfd_stat from the
interface entirely.  If anyone needs to do that, it's much simpler to
provide a function that returns the fd (or FILE *) they can stat themselves.
Naturally that opens the door to people doing stupid things with that fd
behind BFD's back, but I am certainly willing to say "don't do that" (just
as you can't diddle much with an fd behind stdio's back and expect life not
to go to hell).