Re: 2.9.5.0.10 ld dumps core when /DISCARD/ is used

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:29:41 -0700
>    From: Zack Weinberg <zack@bitmover.com>
>
>    I am using H.J.'s 2.9.5.0.10 binutils package.  Using /DISCARD/ in a
>    ld script causes the linker to dump core when invoked.
>
> Thanks for the bug report and test case.  Unfortunately, I can not
> recreate it with the current development sources.  Perhaps the bug,
> whatever it is, has been fixed.

The bug seems to be input dependent - a simpler test case did not dump
core.  I can attempt to track down the faulty code in my version if
you like.

> Incidentally, a simpler way to do what you appear to be trying to do
> is to use the --remove-section option of objcopy.

If I could also rename sections with objcopy, that would be a viable
option, but as far as I can tell you can't.  Also, when you delete a
section with objcopy, symbols referenced only from that section are
not removed from the symbol table.

zw