Re: Patch to readelf...

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 05:28:25PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> : I've been plumbing the depths of ARM Linux corefiles lately and have
> : extended readelf's capabilities in the area of dumping core files.  I
> : thought I would pass along the work and see if anyone thought it was
> : interesting enough for inclusion in the tree.
> :
> : 1999-08-19  Scott Bambrough <scottb@netwinder.org>
> :
> : 	* include/elf/common.h: Added NT_TASKSTRUCT note type.
> : 	* binutils/readelf.c: Added code to parse the NT_PRSTATUS,
> : 	  NT_PRPSINFO, and NT_FPREGSET note segments found in elf core
> : 	  files.  Added ARM specific code to process arm registers and
> : 	  arm floating point registers.
>
> I would like to accept this patch, but....
>
>   * It is too ARM Linux specific.  For example the structure 'struct
>     user_fp' that you reference in several of your functions is not
>     defined in my i386 Linux environment.
>
>   * Similarly I am worried that other platforms will not have the new
>     header files that you include (eg <sys/procfs.h>).

IMHO only generic code for core file handling should go into readelf.c, the
rest should probably be into some separate modules in config/, otherwise
readelf.c will become a monster.

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
UltraLinux  |  http://ultra.linux.cz/  |  http://ultra.penguin.cz/
Linux version 2.3.13 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)