Re: DWARF2 vs. 64-bit MIPS

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 04:15:48PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> There are *eight* (rather than four) bytes, indicating the length of
> the debugging information, two bytes (as required) of DWARF version
> information, and *eight* (rather than four) bytes of address offset,
> followed by the single-byte value indicating the address size.

Yep, there's a comment to that effect in the gcc sources.  SGI
decided to change all the inter-debug offsets to 64-bits on the
64-bit targets.

Jason didn't follow them.  It does bloat the size of the debug info,
and it does require you write enough code for 4G of debug info.
There should be a way to tell the difference (and switch between the
two, supposing you _do_ write such big programs!), but I don't know
what off-hand.

> In order to handle this situation, it would seem that we need
> parse_comp_unit to take the address size as a parameter...

Seems reasonable.

r~