Re: [RFC] Adding --skip-mismatch option to ld

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 12:05:30PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 05:12:07PM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > Now Solaris linker apparently skips a library in the search path if it is
> > for the wrong architecture (=emulation) which makes a lot of sense to me,
> > that's why I wrote the second part of this patch. I've made it optional and
> > not default because it differs from the standard library path searching, on
> > the other side without this any compilation with some wrong arch library in
> > the search path before the correct arch one would die in error.
>
> I don't see any need to make this optional.  My preferred solution
> would be to skip the library with a note written to the map file
> to aid diagnosing user's problems.

In such a case, what would it do if --no-warn-mismatch is specified?
Should it stop skipping the libraries and choose the first one in the search
path, or should it continue skipping incompatible libraries, in which case
if the user wanted to link against an incompatible library, he'd have to
specify its full name including path?
I don't know much about what are people using --no-warn-mismatch for and
what tasks are they solving by it, so I cannot come to conclusion about the
above question easily myself.
I'd be very happy if this skipping on mismatch was the default mode of
operation, just thought it would have lower chance of getting accepted.

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
UltraLinux  |  http://ultra.linux.cz/  |  http://ultra.penguin.cz/
Linux version 2.3.4 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)