Relocs left in shared objects

Hi,

I want the elf64-ppc link editor to generate shared libraries and
started looking at how other do this.

One thing I don't understand is that when creating a shared library
from two (or more) object files that have function calls crossing the
object file boundaries, there are dynamic relocations for the
branch/call in the resulting shared object that seem unnecessary to
me.  This is true for at least elf32-x86 and elf32-ppc.

Shouldn't the link editor be able to resolve these references itself?

--
Linus Nordberg
Swox AB  <http://www.swox.com/>