Re: libiberty...

> > (Actually, given that -fPIC consumes an extra general purpose register for the
> > GOT pointer, you could even make some sort of a case for saying that some
> > performance-critical shared libraries might be better compiled without.)
>
> Ha.  That's possible I suppose.  As long as the library is not used to
> often.  The more instances the more memory it will consume.

I know, kiddies... I've got this brilliant idea.  Let's design a
shared-library system that has all the costs of standard shared library
systems (reserves a general-purpose register for the pic base, uses stubs
to call inter-library, indirects everything via a GOT/PLT, has major
startup/runtime costs due to fixing up relocations) and has none of the
benefits (ie it can't share code at run time).

Now then, what are we going to call it? ... How about "ELF"?

What do you mean we can't call it a "shared library system" if it doesn't
share code?  Oh, hell!  Let's call it a DLL then...

R.