Re: small patch for coffgen.c

* Nick Clifton (nickc@cygnus.com) [19991119 17:43]:

> : In coffgen.c, there's a bogus call to gettext(). Here's the fix.
> :
> : 1999-11-19  Philipp Thomas  <pthomas@suse.de>
> :
> : 	* coffgen.c (coff__print_symbol): remove gettext() call
>
> Why is this bad ?

It's not really bad, but I see no sense in translating that particular
string.

> If it is bad, then why is the call to getext() in
> _bfd_coff_read_string_table() not a problem as well ?

I haven't gotten to that yet or maybe I missed it (have to recheck). But
after having somehow lost my original translation (which was roughly half
way through binutils), I once more started translating binutils messages to
German and stumbled across that message. After looking at the source (I'm in
no way a binutils hacker otherwise), it just didn't seem to make sense to
translate that string.

So I should have been more careful in the message (remember English is not
my native tongue). It should have been 'this call seems to be bogus. If it
is, here is the fix'.

I guess you'll see more messages from me in the future, BTW, because the
only platform I'm at least a bit familiar with (familiar in regards to
binutils, that is) is ia32. So I will have further questions regarding
pecularities of other platforms (like Interworking on ARM, which I figured
out).

But I guess I'll also have some questions on the wording of messages where I
think terms are used inconsistent (like gp vs. GP). And, last and least,
like the original mail, where I think translations don't make much sense.

On that point, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

cu
Philipp