Re: libiberty...

Philip Blundell wrote:

> It builds
> >libiberty.a using the .o files in libiberty, but makes no use of the .o
> >files in libiberty/pic.  Should it build a shared library as well?
>
> That might be dangerous.  Packages like gcc and gdb include variant
> libiberties of their own; there could be all sorts of nasty surprises in store
> if the version in use changes underneath you.

True, but if you go to the trouble to package up functionality in a
library, why have so many variants?  If you are using a variant version
of libiberty, why not just include the source files and be done with
it.  It's not that big.  A library should have one home.  Make it so
Riker! :).

> I don't have any clear idea about how to deal with this.  I think that what
> Mozilla is doing here is somewhat dubious, but I don't really have any
> suggestions for how to achieve the same ends in a better way.  Also,
> not supporting PC24 relocs is a deficiency in the dynamic linker and one
> could say we should just bite the bullet and fix it.

It is dubious.  And I don't think the dynamic linker is at fault.

--
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com