Re: Q: binutils build process

   Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:09:19 +0000
   From: "Andrew Morton" <morton@nortelnetworks.com>

   Could someone please take the time to explain a couple of things?

   I wish to add a new application in ./binutils/.  So I altered
   Makefile.am and ran automake (v1.4a).  However the resulting Makefile.in
   is vastly different from the CVS version and, post-configure, doesn't
   work.  I tried './configure --enable-maintainer-mode' and it again
   fails, but differently.

   Do I need a different automake?

For horrible reasons the binutils currently use
autoconf/automake/libtool snapshots.  You can find them at
    ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils
Perhaps this will change in the future as new releases of these tools
appear.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why automake 1.4a doesn't work at all.

   Also, dependencies.  Am I correct in assuming the process is:

   automake
   configure
   make dep dep-i dep-am

   What's the magic here?

I don't recommend running automake and configure by hand.  Instead,
configure with --enable-maintainer-mode and let the dependencies do
the right thing.  To do this, you must install automake, autoconf,
libtool, and gettext.  They must all be configured and installed with
the same --prefix.  You must put $(prefix)/bin on your PATH.

If you plan to run `make dep-am', that is the only target you need to
run.  You then need to update your Makefile.in file--if you configure
with --enable-maintainer-mode, this will happen automatically.  You
then need to update your Makefile--this will happen automatically when
you run make.

Ian