Re: Proposal to change branch maintenance

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:56:18 +0100, Tom Tromey wrote:
> So, new branches would be like "tromey/project" rather than the current
> "archer-tromey-project".
>
> I don't propose renaming existing branches.

IMO if there should be a different naming the existing should be renamed,
otherwise it is more complicated/mess than it was.

> Third, what about adopting a convention for a "README.archer" file in
> the top-level of each branch?

That would not work for merges of multiple branches.  Some ARCHER.branchname
would work.  But ...

> I think newer git even has some automated thing for documenting
> branches, but unfortunately I think we aren't all on a new-enough git
> yet.  We could adopt that when we're ready.

... you probably mean "git branch --edit-description", I do not know it.
It exists even in the oldest supported Fedora (F-17) and in reality archer.git
is not in use outside of RH so I do not see a problem with --edit-description.

Jan