Re: Improved linker-debugger interface

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

> Paul> Making the probes wider would be ideal.
>
> I asked and the SystemTap guys said that they'd welcome a patch, but
> that the widening would have to be optional.

Optional widening would likely be useless in this context: an in-process
debugger wants to just work (TM). Requiring a special build of ld-linux
(with widened probes) is the opposite of that ;-(

One could hope that upstream glibc would adopt wide probes by default,
but I would guess that chances of that actually happening are nil.

--
Paul Pluzhnikov