Re: systemtap markers and gdb

Phil> Why the catch syntax, and not just an addition to the linespec code so
Phil> that we can just set regular breakpoints on them?  It would be neat then
Phil> to interface with the upcoming condition/action python code.

We considered this but decided on catchpoints for two reasons.

First, we wanted to expose the marker arguments somehow.  Adding special
behavior to breakpoints for one kind of linespec seemed ugly.

Second, linespec.c is already too gross.

It occurs to me now that I don't know how we'll support letting the user
view the marker arguments outside of "commands".  Maybe instead of a
special convenience function we should just set a bunch of convenience
variables, or a single array-valued convenience variable.

Phil> (Though I guess in mediation, though we have no catchpoint support in
Phil> the Python API at present, there is no reason that we cannot at some
Phil> point).

Yeah, we will want to do that as part of this work.