This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Archer project.
Re: gdbstub initial code, v11
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>
- To: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Oleg Nesterov <oleg at redhat dot com>, utrace-devel at redhat dot com, archer at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: gdbstub initial code, v11
- References: <20100922022226.GA27400@redhat.com><email@example.com>
> I think it would be good to implement a feature that shows how this
> approach is an improvement over the current state of gdb+ptrace or
> Exactly what feature this should be... I don't know :-)
> I would imagine something performance-related.
My vague notion was that we'd get it working well enough to have basic
parity with native or gdbserver on some realish test cases, and then just
look at the protocol interaction log to see cases where we could reduce
round-trips between gdb and the stub. Some of those are bound to entail
protocol extensions and gdb changes to exploit them. Off hand, the Z cases
might be the only things that won't need that.