This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Archer project.
Re: gdbstub initial code, v11
- From: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- To: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Oleg Nesterov <oleg at redhat dot com>, archer at sourceware dot org, utrace-devel at redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:18:37 +0200
- Subject: Re: gdbstub initial code, v11
- References: <20100922022226.GA27400@redhat.com><firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:09:12 +0200, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I think it would be good to implement a feature that shows how this
> approach is an improvement over the current state of gdb+ptrace or
> Exactly what feature this should be... I don't know :-)
> I would imagine something performance-related.
I would bet on a massive threads creating/deleting testcase signalling tasks
around, together with watchpoints. There are races in the linux-nat code and
IIRC even gdbserver code.
OTOH if one tries hard one can probably manage one day to fix all the corner
cases in the ptrace based linux-nat and gdbserver.