FYI: merge to archer-tromey-python

I did a merge from master to archer-tromey-python today.  Then I removed
a few things from the branch that are no longer relevant.  (There are
still a few things that remain that are not used, I didn't bother
changing everything back.)

Looking at the resulting diff, I see that the "gdb --python" stuff is
pretty half-baked.

There are some minor test suite differences.  I don't know if we care.

Then the remaining diffs are really just .py scripts.  Joel took a stab
at upstreaming one of these; I think we can probably work through them
one by one.  A few of them (the backtrace ones) need some fixes, but
some of them are basically ok.

Tom