Re: Merging lessons

>>>>> "Rick" == Rick Moseley <rmoseley@redhat.com> writes:

Rick> 2)  Do a rebase at least once a week

I'd prefer people merge from master, rather than rebase.  IIUC,
rebasing doesn't work too well in a shared repository, but merging
does.

I will endeavor to merge more frequently.

To anybody who does a future topic->release merge, please feel free to
harangue people into doing their master->topic merges as the right
moment.

Rick> The configure files rank right up there, IMHO, with ChangeLog as
Rick> being difficult to merge, make sure you have the latest version
Rick> before making any changes.

We can treat the generated files as outputs -- you don't have to merge
them at all, just regenerate them by running the tools.

What I do is download the proper auto* versions from ftp.gnu.org, then
install them into a fresh directory.  Then I put the new $prefix/bin
in my $PATH whenever I need to run auto* on gdb.

It is pretty important to get the exact upstream version -- the tools
are version-sensitive and even if your distro does happen to package
that version, there is a fair chance there is an output-affecting
distro-specific patch in there.

Tom