This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Archer project.
Re: [Archer] Merging lessons
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Rick Moseley <rmoseley at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Project Archer <archer at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:02:03 +0400
- Subject: Re: [Archer] Merging lessons
- References: <496F90F1.firstname.lastname@example.org>
> 3) We need some policy on ChangeLogs.
> I haven't seen a ChangeLog merge yet that went smoothly. Using git
> to "attempt" to merge
> the files produces a file that is most painful to merge.
What we do at AdaCore is use our own ChangeLog file (ChangeLog.GNAT
FWIW). Similarly, when I work on my own personal branch, I sometimes
use my own ChangeLog file called whatever. However, now that I'm using
git more and more often, I've found the use of ChangeLogs to simply
be redundant and limitative - I just put the ChangeLog entry as my
revision history, and git is fast enough to produce a "ChangeLog"
on the fly... This worked really well for me while I was trying
to contribute the changes for 64bit Windows.