This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Archer project.
Re: initial faster startup patch
- From: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- To: Project Archer <archer at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:45:14 -0600
- Subject: Re: initial faster startup patch
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
There were a couple questions about this patch at the meeting.
Phil asked about memory savings. I attached to OO.o using a pristine
gdb (archer trunk) and the modified gdb, and measured the space with
"maint space 1":
That is a savings of 35%.
Even after "thread apply all bt full" the patch shows savings:
That is about 8%.
Andrew asked how many symbols tables were converted from psymbol
tables. I both gdbs and did "thread apply all bt full".
Then I used "maint print statistics" to look at the internals.
This looks worse -- apparently there are 1493 converted symbol tables
with trunk, but 10576 with the branch. I don't understand this; I'll
dig into it a bit more.