Building a custom GCC

I've been stepping through the uw_install_context(_1) in unwind_dw2.c. I've been using system installed GCC in the (now naive ;) hope that one could muddle through and work around the level of optimization that exists in those libraries. So following this unwinder glue is tricky enough as it is, so this is not going to work. Specifically most variables that are interesting (of course) have been optimized away. So I need to get GCC source, build, install (in a buildroot), and build my inferiors against -O0 GCC libraries. I know there are some GCC folks around here, and they may have a script or a baked set of instructions that would make this easier. Anyone?

Regards

Phil