RE: PDF to FO tool?

> I'm beginning to wonder if XSL-FO, HTML+CSS are next.
>  SVG takes over the world. The end.
> Good luck Max.

I don't think you understand. I was simply pointing out that SVG is a
lower level description of a page than FO, thus it is a closer
approximation to PDF. Nowhere did I (or would I) say that SVG fills any
of the roles that FO fills (pagination-related, flow-related...).

If you had been on the SVG list a couple years back you would have seen
me defend HTML/XHTML against those who would have made pure SVG pages. I
fully appreciate the benefits of such standards (which *are* standards,
unlike Flash...). Nice when text scales, nice to have a "master page"
concept, nice when content is accessible, etc., etc...

I think the future is multiple XML namespaces inline. The main role for
SVG to me would be SVG in FO, SVG in XHTML, etc. Generated from the XML
via XSLT, of course.

Does FO somehow obviate the need for PDF in your world? I always thought
FO->PDF is just fine, though FO->SVG(plus the three or so features it
would need to replace PDF) might be better.

Max