RE: Can you apply a template match on a copy node?

Hi,

> Mike Carlisle wrote:
> > Hi Joerg,
> >
> > I'm just experimenting with ways of using xml/xsl. Sure I could use css, but
> > I prefer keeping things clean and maintainable from one file. I'm a great
> > believer in a clear seperation between data and layout, and the simplier I
> > can find ways to control the styling the better, which is why I was hoping
> > to do away with css altogether and use xsl templates for everything.
> >
> > I'm using a server-side asp transform for the processing, so any use of
> > xsl/xml needs to be very efficient to compete with a pure asp scripted
> > solution.
> >
> > Mike

The best (clean, maintainable, simple) separation you could acheive would be by
using CSS after making a simple html structure by transforming your XML with
XSLT. Why do you feel this is wrong?

XML     HTML
 + --->  +
XSL     CSS

You can get close to one HTML structure and make completely different looks with
CSS.

Using CSS will also allow you to move much of your server side processing to the
client, which means faster server-side processing.

I do not understand why you would want to avoid CSS. Everything you mention
above would indicate that you should use CSS.

best,
-Rob