RE: How to preserve numerical representation of chars when parsing?

At 10:40 06.09.2002 +0100, you wrote:
> > > Is there any possibility to let the numerical references pass
> > transparently?
> I suggest to consider a setting/property for XML Parsers that
> allows to not
> expand numerical refs. Would this make any sense or is this
> feature too exotic to consider?

You haven't really explained why your target application (the one that
is the recipient of the output from the transformation) cares which XML
representation of the characters in the document is chosen. As David
explained, if it does care, then it is not an XML application as defined
by the XML specification.
Thanks for this clear statement.
The target application is at the customer's site. The requirement to get several characters delivered as num. refs. came from their needs. I now managed to communicate the above fact so that they understand it is not needed if the delivered document goes right into a xml parser anyway, where everything will be again expanded with the viewable chars.
All the best
Thomas