RE: XML + XSLT = SVG using FOP example needed...

SVG is merely one of several output formats that FOP supports. The idea is basically that you fire up your SVG viewer and see a rendering of the page, using, in effect, XSL-FO as an SVG "driver" format. (It did seem like a somewhat bizarre thing to do, but hey, SVG is cool so why not?)

But Tom, when I tried this oh many months ago, it didn't work very well: the SVG came out but the rendering was poor. (I just did it configuring FOP from the command line.) So I'm afraid that's not much help since hopefully the implementation has improved since then, and no I have no example. (In any case I'd start by trying to get it to work from the command line -- which was easy enough -- before I set up a whole system.)

This, I take it, is quite different from just using SVG as a graphics format to be referred to by XSL-FO to create another form of output such as PDF. (I had somewhat better success with that but it was also a while ago.) FOP "renders SVG" in the sense that you can pass SVG as part of your FO, and FOP will render it; but it will also render its FO content *in* SVG, and that's what I think you (Tom) are asking about.

Cheers,
Wendell