My Difficult counting problem

hello,

I need some help doing the following, I can't seem to figure out how to do
this in XSL

I need to convert something like this
<myElement>
   <foo name="foobar1"/>
   <foo name="foobar2"/>
   <foo name="foobar1"/>
   <foo name="foobar3"/>
   <foo name="foobar1"/>
   <foo name="foobar1"/>
   <foo name="foobar3"/>
</myElement>

and the output after running it through the XSL would be

numberOccurrences[] = {1, 1, 2, 1, 3, 4, 2};

basically for each foo with a duplicate name you put the occurrence number
of it in the array at the correct position.

You see that foobar1 occurs 4 times,
the 1st occurrence is at position 0, while 2nd occurrence is at position 2,
3rd at position 4, and 5th at position 5. etc.

I don't know how loop through the nodes, and keep track of how many
occurrences there are up to the given position.

help!!

thanks