Re: non-binary, non-XML, source files

[Bernd Gauweiler]

> At present, I render XML to HTML (via XSLT). I use a custom tool to
> create the XML input from proprietary databases. Works fine.
>
> The next project is likely to process ANSI-C source code and other ASCII
> files that are not in XML form. Will I still have to create a tool that
> creates XML first, or is there a way for XSLT to work directly on
> non-binary, non-XML, source files?

By definition, xslt only operates on xml data.  But it is sometimes possible
to write a parser for a non-xml format that generates SAX events that can be
fed to a SAX handler.  If you find an xslt processor that can accept SAX
events from other parsers (I believe that Saxon can  do this), you would be
able to do what you want.

Cheers,

Tom P