RE: need help explaining one data structure over another

> I guess I am just trying to figure out why DocBook went to such trouble to
> have a whole bunch of index terms -- they must have had some reason for
> using primary, secondary, indexdiv, etc., right?

I don't know about Docbook, but one thing to consider is how/where the index
is built.

If you want to be able to imbed mark up throughout the document without
actually explicitly building an index structure then a primary/secondary
type scheme would be necessary.  That would allow you to build the index by
scanning the document for the various term definitions and pull them out of
the document.  It seems to me that this might be a better way to build the
index than explicitly building the relationships at some other point.
However; your question was about XML structure and not index building so I
didn't really want to jump into this somewhat off topic issue...