Re: xslt critique

Chuck White said:

> When working with someone else's stylesheet I've found Marrowsoft's
> Xselerator (Win 32-based) to be a wonderful tool. The code you are
> encountering may be badly written, in which case of course it's
> better to just start over. However, if the code is well written, it
> may use some fairly complex expressions, and Xselerator will help you

> negotiate your way to the appropriate nodes referenced by the
> expressions very quickly.

Let me absolutely, definitely, confirm Chuck's observation. While the
art of conceiving an XSLT IDE is still in its infancy, tools like
XSelerator remarkably change the way an XSLT programmer works, saving
time and increasing productivity manyfold.

Didier Martin said:

> I understand your situation. It seems that most of the XSLT templates

> I saw where badly written. In fact all the rules used in other
> languages can potentially be applied to XSLT. The main rule being to
> create re-usable modules (or re-usable templates). An XSLT library
> will evolve and be debugged over time.

100% right!  (pure XSLT) Libraries are another way to extend a
language, to increase productivity in the large and to make possible
and easy what was prohibitively difficult before.

Parts of the "critique" are already addressed by FXSL -- higher order
functions, currying and partial applications.

And it is easy to critisize things you don't know too well...

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.