Re: Server-side transformations

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Konkle-Parker" <jjk3@msstate.edu>

> I've asked this question once before, but I didn't really get an
> answer that helped me. Right now my site (http://www.ballsome.com) is
> written in XML, transformed client-side with XSLT into XHTML/CSS.
> Needless to say, that severely restricts our browser potential, and
> causes all kinds of other compatibility problems and such.
>
> So what I need is some kind of solution that can apply the
> transformation on the fly as the requests are received, then send
> them to the client. My hosting service uses Apache on a UNIX system.

server side transform is the term

- saxon is a java program, it comes with an effective java servlet
example,....but you will need to setup something like JRUN or Tomcat, java
also has a windows version, to which you refer to

- your other options are; xalan, needs servlet, basically anything java is
gonna require something on the server

- you could install axkit or modxslt ( which needs mod enabled and you need
access to apache to configure/make ) both which require a bit of effort.

> Does anyone have any (easy-to-understand) advice for this? I've tried
> Saxon, but it looks like that's a windows program only. I've also
> looked at Xalan, but it looks like that needs server-side java,
> something my host doesn't have.

you could change hosts..... www.o-idev.com ( sorry for the plug, we actually
launch tommorow, couldnt resist ), or use a server side program
something like sabcmd ( www.gingerall.com / sablotron XSLT processor ) for
cgi-bin execution, but most likely you would have to ask your host to
compile it for you on the server.

there are very few options for people in your situation.

gl, jim fuller