RE: A method to insert Adobe's accessibility "tags" into a PDF via FO?

Toni wrote: >>[[

We'd like the PDF to be accessible if possible, but with the current
version of Acrobat (v.5), it appears you have to go in manually and
mark up the document with their particular accessibility tags, which
doesn't really work under this delivery model.

My question is:  does anyone know of any FO or XSL elements or
extensions that will simulate these tags?  It seems to me that if the
data is already structured in XML, it should be easy enough to code
that structure into the PDF.  And it doesn't look like Adobe's XMP
(eXtensible Metadata Platform, not to be confused with the obsolete
HTML element) is quite what we need.
]]

It seems to me you would have to make your FO accessible, not try to
insert Adobe's tags. The problem then is what are the processors you are
using?
For example if you wanted to make an image "accessible" then you would
most likely want to use role, I may be wrong but I have the suspicion no
one really supports role yet.

I think probably what you need to do is to read Adobe's accessibility
guidelines for converting from other media, for example Microsoft Word
and then use your own sensibility in translating those guidelines into
guidelines for working with FO. For example use columns in your
layout-master-set as opposed to making columns via tables - not that I
think anyone would do this I'm just translating from the one guideline
to a rule of thumb guideline.
Then just test your FO in an accessible Acrobat reader, supposing of
course that the accessibility for various languages and platforms will
come out about the same.