Re: cocoon or xalan

Scott Purcell wrote:
> I have a xml file that includes a xsl stylesheet to produce html
> output for a website. I have been trying to use Xalan to read in the
> two files and throw the output to the output stream of the webserver.
> While trying to resolve some coding issues, I have been told that
> cocoon would do the same thing.
>
> After glancing through the documentation for cocoon, it appears to be
> quite deep. I do not want to go down the wrong road, so I was hoping
> that someone may be able to guide me on the pros and cons of both
> products.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Hello Scott,

there is no either or with Cocoon and Xalan. The first one is an XML publishing framework (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/index.html), the second one an XSLT processor. Cocoon uses normally Xalan, but you can use any other Java XSLT processor too (I think).
What are your "coding issues"? You can setup quite fast a business logic in the sitemap, but maybe you don't want to. An easy transformation in the sitemap looks like the following:

<map:match pattern="index.html">
<map:generate src="index.xml"/>
<map:transform src="index.xsl"/>
<map:serialize type="html"/>