Re: Processing HTML document.

Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 07:05:41PM +0200, Antonio Fiol wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to get an XHTML document into an XSLT processor, to get XML on the output.

A slightly different approach is to use an HTML parser front-end
instead of an XML one for the XSLT processor, that's how I maintain a number of web pages (authoring HTML is easier for me than maintaining
X(HT)ML). With xsltproc the --html option does this, and I'm pretty sure
most Java based implementation can use an HTML parser delivering SAX
events (but I never tried).

Daniel

To give you a complete approach of what I am doing:

- I am creating a Servlet based interface to some data. For that, I created a servlet that detects the user agent, and sends it either XML (if we are certain the browser supports XSLT) or HTML, by transforming the XML with a XSLT stylesheet on the server.

- My XSLT code should create a whole HTML page, for whose many elements are constant, and the "template" (not in the XSLT sense) for the page is defined (in HTML) by our webmaster. I can ask him to write XHTML, and/or run HTML TIDY on that code to get proper XHTML. However, I need to transform that into an XSLT file. I use an XSLT file called "htmltoxsl.xsl" I created for that purpose.

- My htmltoxsl.xsl reads a "slightly modified (<?xml...?> added at the beginning, xsl:apply-templates elements added)" (X)HTML page and outputs an XSLT stylesheet containing some IMPORT tags, the HTML code (which contains some xsl:apply-templates inside) inside an <xsl:when test="(no error node is present on the XML file)"> in the template for "/".

- I would like, but I cannot:
* Ask our webmaster to write XSLT.
* Include the <?...?> at the beginning of the file and ask our webmaster to edit that (DreamWeaver does not support it).
* Use HTML Tidy on files containing xsl:apply-templates with optional xsl:with-param. HTML Tidy does not understand them correctly, even adding the tags to the list of supported tags.

I am partially happy about what I managed to get (the described procedure), but if someone has suggestions on better procedures, do not hesitate to tell me.

Thank you all for your (previous and future) help!!

Antonio Fiol