Re: FOP - what, where, when, how?

On Friday 22 March 2002 17:20, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>. . .
> If you are doing all the processing on the server you could have the
> PDF generated on demand, although this could be slow for documents
> larger than about 10 pages and would require pretty beefy servers if
> you have any significant demand on the site.
>. . .

>From my experience with FOP, it's not really the number of pages that
matter: which XSL-FO constructs you use make a huge difference.

I don't have precise rules about what constructs to avoid, but forward
references like "page N of NN" for example, can cause FOP to keep the
whole document in memory until the number of pages is known.

So I wouldn't say "larger than about 10 pages" but "depending on
document size and complexity".

--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.