Re: XML apparently cannot be used for general text markup: whitespace gripe

Chad:

This is a nasty problem, but it is really not a problem with XML (or even
HTML), but simply highlights a very important difference between the two.

HTML collapses multiple white space in element content to a single white
space.  XML preserves white space inside element content.

So, if you want this XML fragment:

<Paragraph>This is my name: <FirstName>John</FirstName>
<LastName>Doe</LastName>.</Paragraph>

to become this HTML fragment:

you can't do the above, you have to do this:

John&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Doe.</p>

It is not impossible, but, yes, its not very much fun and occurs so often
that it is really, really not fun.

I hope this helps,

Todd

Winchel "Todd" Vincent III