Re: CASE-CONVERSION

Hi Kim,

> i can try translate() function , but it requires to know what i want
> to translate and what i want to translate it to.In my case since i
> dont know what would be the text in the color ellement, I reckon
> translate() wouldnt be of much help .

I think that you're misunderstanding how the translate() function
works. The second and third arguments to the translate() function are
strings, but they are used as simply sequences of characters - the
translation is from character to corresponding character, not from
string to string.

For example:

  translate('red', 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz',
                   'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')

gives you 'RED' - the 'r' is located in the second argument, and
replaced by the character at the corresponding location in the third
argument, which is the 'R'. Similarly, for the 'e' and the 'd'.

So the translate() function can be used to translate words from
lowercase to uppercase, as long as it's a character-by-character
conversion that you're interested in (e.g. you don't want 'ß' to
become 'SS').

Cheers,

Jeni

---