Problems with usage of XPath functions as argument in selectNodes method of MSXML2

Hi,
I have a problem with usage of XPath functions in selectNodes method of
MSXML2(Micorsoft XML version 3.0).I was trying to write :
oXMLDoc.selectNodes("//x[contains(@y,'abc')]")
But it gives me an error which says that contains is an unknown method.But I
think the argument passed to the method uses valid XPath function.Is this a
limitation of MSXML2 or am I missing something.
Any suggestion would be of great help to me.
Thanking in anticipation,
Ratul.