Re: Output: XML to XML scrambling unicode characters

Wendell,
I admit that I will have some mulling over David's responses, they
information a little over my head but what I have been working to
understand.

Yes, I am part of the EAD crowd. However, my method is to cut text
from my Corel Word Perfect 8.1 document (already coded), and then
paste it into a HTML <meta ...=utf-8> document open in UniRed.
Whereupon, UniRed, pasted into the BODY of this self created HTML
document, gives me all the equivilents of my special characters. Then
I open the same HTML document in Note Pad Pro and paste the text into
the XML document I am working on.

XSL is helping me to transform a primary coded XML document into the
verbose EAD tagging. (EAD tag 1 = XML tag C1003, etc. though not so
simple as that) Tagging the info as it stands is often quite a labor
(despite my tool bar http://www.geocities.com/mikeferrando/Mike1.html
) and presents other problems that could result in alot of re-coding.

So, my concern is that I am getting the right character, not so much
that I can see it (DUH!). If it changes from what I am used to (i.e.,
"& #233;"), I want to know if I have lost the real value of the
character and not it will not appear as it is supposed to. Hence, I
need to develop a different system.

One of my first concerns in using any type of text editor is the
translation of my extended characters. Daniel Pitti basically threw
his hands up in the air when I presented my concerns during my week
long class under him. So I developed this system to avoid looking up
all these characters.

XML has been an incredible and awesome answer to my all my laboring
over the creation as well as the formatting of these text documents
and databases for the past 10 years.

Again, my sincere thanks for all the help, David, Wendell, and all
the rest here.

But actually, Wendell, my howling is over. I tested out this system
with a Russian/English finding aid last year. No one I know of had
any really helpful information for doing this. Everyone seemed to
assume that everything can be reduced to ascII without any concern
for these many characters.

Mike F.
Library of Congress
Music Division