From: Rosa Cheng [mailto:rosa.cheng@netxsurance.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 4:25 PM
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: [xsl] ?Dataislands?

Can anyone please tell me what is the best way to approach such a problem
using XSL and XML?

I have a page of questions that are divided into tab sections, with a bar of
tabs at the top of the page.  You can tab through them or click next to go
onto the next tab section.  You can also come back to the tab sections
before by clicking on the tabs at the top of the page.  What I want to do
though is to ONLY submit all the answers at the very end of the series of
questions, i.e. there is a submit button only on the very last tab page.
But as I change the answers and tab through, I want to also keep the answers
I had entered before.  This means I have to somehow save the answers entered
on the client side through the course of questions answering.

There is one possible solution that has come up and it is:
The original XML will come in and a tabbed questions page will be displayed
based on that original XML.  This XML will also be binded to a dataisland.
In fact from there onwards, the pages will be displayed using the XML from
the dataisland.  So all I need to do is to just keep updating the XML binded
to the dataisland.  And after the user is satisfied with what it has
answered, then the XML binded to the dataisland will be submitted to the
server.  (But then again, it also means I need to write some script that
will update the dataisland XML with the new answers on the page with each
tab click.)

I'm not sure whether this is the best approach, can anyone please tell me
whether there is a better way or this approach is fine?  If this approach is
fine, can anyone direct me to an example of such a page or where to find the
javascript to update the binded XML with answers grabbed from the HTML page
displayed?

Thank you in advance.

Rosa

P.S. if there is anything that is still unclear please tell me, I will try
to explain it better.