how do I create new elements in xslt

Hello,
Here is what I am trying to do.
an xslt file reads in multiple xml files,selects some nodes and then before
printing them out append and inserts some new xml elements in this new file
and then prints it out.How do I get this done,any help be appreciated
BTW. I can read in multiple xml files and print out a file as well,my
question is regarding,the new elements. and appending them and insertingf
them in an xml file
thanks