RE: basic question about xpath support of xml schema

Dave, Mike and all,

It'd be ironic if XML technologies were to become so tightly-coupled that
one couldn't use one without using all the others, considering that much
(most?) of the reason why XML got such legs even after SGML best practice
had come to be so well-defined, was that SGML technologies remained
top-heavy to implement and
dependent on vendor-specific tools, despite being based on a
non-proprietary "standard".

The bigger a standard, the more grey areas and partial incompatible
approaches, the less standard. If this happens, it will only make the day
come sooner when XML is toppled by its own, lightweight, loosely-coupled
progeny ... the next big idea. If W3C forgets why XML succeeded, this
next-generation thing will come from somewhere else.

Twilight of the Gods, anyone?

Cheers,
Wendell