basic question about xpath support of xml schema (was RE:An issue with XPath 2.0 sequences (Was Re: RE: Muenchian method, and keys 'n stuff))

>>Mike Kay wrote:
>> I asked some questions about how this decision came about from
>> colleagues on
>> the various working groups. The basic rationale is that it's a
consequence
>> of the XML schema type system. Sequences were added to the XPath
>> data model
>> because XML Schema supports sequences of simple values. Schema doesn't
>> support sequences of sequences, so we don't either; if you want a
>> hierarchic
>> structure, you use a complex-valued element. So it comes down to the fact
>> that we're designing a language for processing XML documents, not a
>> general-purpose programming language.

was just wondering, have been skimming through the xml path language 2.0 wd
and haven't found exactly where it's described how the processors knows what
schema it should work with.
for example the example code: $x instance of element of type animal  should
return true if the value associated with variable $x is an element whose
type is an instance of the type animal. but how do I tell my processor what
schema to get and associate with the document so I can check if $x is indeed
an instance of element type animal?