Re: Re: RE: Higher-Order Functions in XPath 2.0

At 7:56 PM 1/17/02, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
>> > Point 3.) This essentially says there is currently no facility
>> > to iterate over two or more sequences in parallel rather than
>> > on the cartesian product. This is especially bad because
>> > there is no reasonable way to emulate this using the "for"
>> > operator. [...]
>
>Another point: How can we produce ***more than one*** sequence in
>parallel?
>
>For example, how to produce both:
>
>($a(i) + $b(i))-sequence
>and
>($a(i) * $b(i))-sequence
>
>In only one pass over $a and $b ?

As there are no side effects, a smart XSL processor is already free to optimize by evaluating the two using only one pass over the two sequences, without requiring any special constructs in the language to force parallel evaluation.

-- Terje <terje@in-progress.com> | Media Design in*Progress
   Software for Mac Web Professionals at <http://www.in-progress.com>
   Take Advantage of Server Side XML and XSL with Interaction 3.6!